7 QUESTIONS with Annabelle Steele, author of Being Amani
To celebrate Black History Month 2020 the amazing company 'The Author School' has asked me to take part in '7 QUESTIONS WITH...' with a number of other authors. It is a privilege to be asked to take part and below is my contribution.
1. WHO IS YOUR FAVOURITE BLACK AUTHOR AND WHY (WE CHEATED, THIS IS 2 QUESTIONS IN 1)?
Malorie Blackman, mainly because her books were the first books that really resonated with me. She was also the first author that made me think “I can do that too” which is something I hope to be able to do for other Black girls aspiring to be writers.
2. WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE PLACE TO GO TO RELAX AND DE-STRESS?
It’s not very exciting, but my favourite place to relax and de-stress is simply, in my bath. I always take a bubble bath with a bath bomb and candles after a stressful day, I like the idea of washing away the stress and letting it go down the drain.
3. NAME ONE THING YOU’RE DOING (OTHER THAN THIS!) TO CELEBRATE BLACK HISTORY MONTH.
I’ll be sharing music by Black musicians and and extracts from Black authors with my Year 3 class, I will also be introducing them to inspirational Black inventors and creatives that they can aspire to be like.
4. WHAT ONE STEP SHOULD ‘PUBLISHING’ TAKE TO BECOME MORE INCLUSIVE?
We need to have diverse staff working within all publishing houses so that they can look out for diverse authors and publish stories that promote cultural understanding and tolerance. Publishing houses also need to work to make #diversevoices the norm and not just a hashtag.
5. HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE YOUR LATEST BOOK (AND INCLUDE THE TITLE IN YOUR ANSWER) IN JUST 7 WORDS?
Being Amani a teen journey of discovering self-love.
6. WHAT ONE THING DO YOU WISH SOMEONE HAD TOLD YOU ABOUT BEING AN AUTHOR BEFORE YOU STARTED WRITING?
“You should let people read what you write more often. What’s the worst that could happen?”
7. WHAT BOOK BY A BLACK AUTHOR HAVE YOU READ THIS YEAR THAT YOU WOULD RECOMMEND (APART FROM YOUR OWN)?
Queenie by Candice Carty Williams.
Head over to http://www.theauthorschool.com/7-questions to read more questions from other authors.